I am making it early, so it won't cut into my reading time. I will keep just updating this post.
It is now time for the Oct 9th 24-Hour-Read-a-thon.
I managed to only wake up 9 minutes late. I pressed snooze on my alarm before grabbing:
8:09 - 9:03 Deviations:4 by Chris Owen - Started page 376, finished at page 468.
9:03 - 9:32 Tricksters Choice by Tamora Pierce - Started page 1, stopped page 50 to update.
Going to find a Mini-challenge now.
First Mini-challenge was Back in the Day Childrens Book Mini-challenge My favorite childhood book was Alanna:The first adventure by Tamora Pierce. I first found it when I was 9 and read it hundreds of time before I was 12 and given the entire quartet. Before that, I thought it was just 1 book. Then I got more of the story!
I am actually not reading that book today, but I am reading two other books by her.
And now, at 9:47, time to get back to reading!
9:50-10:58 Tricksters Choice - started page 50 - stopped page 147.
Next Mini-challenge, Six Word Celebration Books, can't get enough. Read faster.
And 4th hour Mini-challenge Indie Books. My first book today was Deviations:Bondage by Chris Owen. Second time reading this book. It is actually book 4, but as it is my favorite of the Quartet, I went straight for this one.
Publisher is Torquere Press.
And now, at 11:13 back to my book!
11:14 - 12:05 Trickster Choice - 148 - 241
5th hour Mini-challenge Show Me Your Books
12:24, time to go back to my book!
12:31 - 1:08 Tricksters Choice 242 - 329
6th hour Mini-challenge Write a story 100 words or less. There once was a girl who wished she had magic. She prayed and begged and one day she was gifted with the ability to fly. She flew all day long, weaving in and out of clouds and teasing the birds in air. When midnight came and she was still flying, she lost the ability and fell from the sky. When she hit the ground, she died.
1:26. Back to my book.
1:26 - 1:58 Trickster's Choice 330 - 413 Finished.
1:58 - 2:09 Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce 1 - 26
Hour 7 Mini-Challenge. Armchair Traveling I love visiting Tortall, Tamora Pierce's world. I have been visiting since I was 9 years old and I am now 25. I am sure to be part citizen now.
2:27. Back to my book.
Read for a few minutes, realized I was hungry and made some peanut butter bread. Ate while reading. Got up to toss my plate and update.
2:27 - 2:48 Trickster's Queen 26 - 43
2:55, back to reading!
2:55 - 3:11 Trickster's Queen. 44 - 67
Hour 8 Mini-Challenge Book Puzzle
Answer: Walking Wounded by Lee Rowan
Well that took forever.
3:32. Back to my book.
3:32 - 4:09 Trickster's Queen 67 - 122 (Nothing like waking up to a basketful of rats by your bed to make you feel safe.)
9th Hour Mini-challenge. Make up a Cheer
Read a book
Two or three
Become a crook
Fight a battle at sea
Read. Read. READ!
4:22. Time to get back to reading!
4:22 - 5:06 Trickster's Queen 123 - 179
10th Hour Mini Challenge PET PICS
Favorite Animal book: Shlilo by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. Shiloh swims swiftly south, soon someone sees soaking, shameful Shilo.
5:34 Time to go back to my book.
5:34 - 6:15 Trickster's Queen 180 - 236
11th Hour Mini Challenge Audio Books
They have Graceling, Fire. Both by Kristen Cashore.
I love Listening to Audio books. I listen while I crochet. I listened last Read-a-thon. But I can read faster then they can read out loud. So I chose not to this time.
12th Hour Mini-Challenge,
1. What are you reading right now? Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce
2. How many books have you read so far? 3
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Either Fire by Kristen Cashore or one of Anne Bishop's books.
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day? Took work off, and asked everyone not to call me.
5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? My Mom called, I told her "I told you not to call" and someone gave me a cheese egg in my game and then I got to chatting with a friend. I am gunna go back to reading my books after I finish this Survey.
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? That I didn't stock up on enough food.
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Nope.
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader if you were to do this again next year? More Food.
9. Are you getting tired yet? Nope. Hungry though.
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered? Get books that are in a series. So much easier to switch to the next book.
7:11. Back to my book!
7:11 - 8:16 Trickster's Queen 237 - 332
Hour 13 Mini-challenge. Title Scramble
1. Firefly Lane
2. East of Eden
3. Water for Elephants
4. To kill a mockingbird
5. The great gatsby
6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
7. The Art of racing in the rain
8. The Time travelers Wife
9. The girl with the dragon tattoo
10. Diary of a wimpy kid
11. A Wrinkle in Time
12. The polar express
13. Love Walked in
14. Where the wild things are
16.Good Night Moon
17. Interview with a Vampire
18. The Secret Life of Bees
19. The Search
20. The Help
8:37. Back to my book!
8:37- 9:20 Trickster's Queen 332 - 402
Hour 14 Mini-challenge. Under the Covers
First Book: Poison Ivy by Amy Goldman Koss. On the cover was a goldfish in a bowl About a 3 bullies who get put on "trial" in social studies. I hated the ending so bad, I threw it when I finished it. Luckily it was a library book.
Second book: The Painted House by Drew Zachery. The cover was a white house and the Blurb souneded really good too. Now I like my gay-male novels, but this one was only sex. I couldn't read past page 20. Unfortunately, I bought this one for $14. *sighs*
9:20 - 10:33 Trickster's Queen 333 - 456. Finished.
Hour 15 Mini-challenge. A Wordle
10:46 - 11:19 Exile's Honor by Mercedes Lackey 1 - 47
Hour 16 Mini-challenge. Poetry Angst
I turn the pages
A book of wonder
A book of magic
Worlds to be found
I reach for another
Hour 17 Mini-challenge. Ban a Book
(First off, I looove this book)
Terrior (Beka Cooper #2) by Tamora Pierce should be banned for many reasons. First Beka Cooper talks to the dead. She must be the devil's minon.
Beka also decides to take a lover and have random acts of sex with him.
Also there is a cross-dressing gay man who goes and sings, as a very hot woman. Then he comes home and makes out with his gay lover.
Devil worship, unmartial sex and homosexuality! Our children will be be crossing dressing, magic welding gay people! We cannot allow this!
12:15 - 1:10 Exile's Honor 48 - 123
Hour 17 Mini-challenge. Pitch Your Book
Honor's Exile by Mercedes Lackey
A warrior is about to be burned alive by his country's religion, and a magical horse rescues him from the flames and brings him to his country's enemies. He is then told that everything he learned about his enemies were lies, and that they need him, badly to protect their own country. He then becomes bodyguard to the princess and saves both her life and the king's.
The one I posted on her blog has typos. I am sorry! I am starting to get tired.
1:23am. Back to my book.
1:23 - 2:02 Exile's Honor 124 - 207
19th Hour Mini-Challenge. Sadly, I am not going to be doing this one, cause she wants us to read a non-fiction book. I don't even think I own a non-fiction book.
2:06 Back to reading!
2:06 - 2:18 Exile's Honor 208 - 230
2:20 - 3:02 Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling 264 - 351
Exile's Honor is a really good book, but the main character speaks like Yoda. Backwards. And at 2am. I couldn't handle it any more, so I picked up "Luck in the Shadows" which I started at the Doctor's Office last week.
Hour 20 Mini-challenge. Biographies.
1. Have you ever read a memoir/true story. Yes.
2. If so, what was the title/author? I did read Anne Frank, Helen Keller and Prudence Crandall and Louis Braille.
3. What what it about? The one about Prudence Crandall was how she was running a school for white females and she shut it down and then opened one for black females and she was very disliked for doing so.
4. Did you like it? Would you recommend it? I did. And yes.
5. How many have you read? 6 or 7
6. Why or what made you want to read it? I checked it in and saw it was about a town I used to live in.
7. What was the saddest/scariest one you read? The one about Prudence Crandall. The Forbidden Schoolhouse: The True and Dramatic Story of Prudence Crandall and Her Students.
8. Did it have a 'happy ending'? Of a sorts. She was like 80 or so, when CT asked if she would like some award for doing what she did.
9. When choosing a memoir/true story, do you look for a certain kind? I normally don't like them. I only read the Prudence Crandall one because I checked it in at work and it looked interesting. The others I had to for school.
10. Bonus question(s-it's in parts:) for my giveaway:
Have you read 3 or more memoirs/true stories? Yes.
The True Story of Anne Frank by Anne Frank - Yes, I would recommend.
The Forbidden Schoolhouse: The True and Dramatic Story of Prudence Crandall and Her Students by Suzanne Jurmain - Yes I would recommend.
Helen Keller: A Life by Dorothy Herrmann - can't really remember. I was about 15
If you were to win the giveaway prize, would you want the book - Yes.
And would you prefer the coffee or tea? Tea.
3:33. Back to reading!
3:33 - 4:07 Luck in the Shadows 351 - 405
Hour 21 Mini-challenge. Character Photo
I took a picture of my Door Lock, to represent all the lock picking and Seregil and Alec do.
4:20. Back to my book!
4:20 - 5:01 Luck in the Shadows 406 - 479 Finished.
Hour 22 Mini-challenge. Side-Kicks
Nawat Crow, from The Trickster Duet by Tamora Pierce.
He was a crow that became a man, and fell in love in Ally, and she with him.
The Darkings, cute tiny magical black blobs that can think and talk and move are a close second.
They were first introduced in "The Immortal's Quartet" and showed up again, towards the end of Trickster's Queen.
5:15. Time to find another book.
5:15 - 6:06 The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale 22-138
Hour 23 Mini-challenge. Make it UP!
Stequinek - (noun) invisible objects laid out in a certain pattern on a ice skating rink.
(verb) to leap over five or invisible objects without injury.
Used in a sentence. "She landed that stequinek perfectly!"
6:19. Time to go read.
6:19 - 7:03 The Goose Girl 138 - 232
7:03 - 7:48 The Goose Girl 232 - 383 FINISHED
Looked at the time, and grabbed Fire to finish off the rest of the time. Got a bit distracted.
7:48 - 8:14 Fire by Kristen Cashore 1 - 39
8:09 - 9:03 Deviations:4 by Chris Owen
9:03 - 9:32 Tricksters Choice by Tamora Pierce
9:50-10:58 Tricksters Choice
11:14 - 12:05 Trickster Choice
12:31 - 1:08 Tricksters Choice
1:26 - 1:58 Trickster's Choice
1:58 - 2:09 Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce
2:27 - 2:48 Trickster's Queen
2:55 - 3:11 Trickster's Queen.
4:22 - 5:06 Trickster's Queen
5:34 - 6:15 Trickster's Queen
7:11 - 8:16 Trickster's Queen
8:37 - 9:20 Trickster's Queen
9:20 - 10:33 Trickster's Queen
10:46 - 11:19 Exile's Honor by Mercedes Lackey
12:15 - 1:10 Exile's Honor
1:23 - 2:02 Exile's Honor
2:06 - 2:18 Exile's Honor
2:20 - 3:02 Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling
3:33 - 4:07 Luck in the Shadows
4:20 - 5:01 Luck in the Shadows
5:15 - 6:06 The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
6:19 - 7:03 The Goose Girl
7:03 - 7:48 The Goose Girl
7:48 - 8:14 Fire by Kristen Cashore
1148 Minutes = 19hours 8 Minutes
376 - 468. 92
1 - 413
1 - 456
1 - 230
264 - 479 215
22 - 383 361
1 - 39