I will keep updating this post.
I woke up 2 hours late. As soon as I saw the time, I grabbed my first book.
10:21 to 12:10: Poison Study, pages 1 to 206.
I got too hungry to keep reading. Going to eat and do the mini-challenge.
Hour Three: Collaborative Fiction Alright, I commented in her blog but it didn't show up. "Maybe they were going to poison him, she knew all about poison. Perhaps she could taste all his food like she did for the Commander."
Hour Four: Book Puzzle
Hour Five: Oldies but Goodies My favorite classic, now that is a hard one. I always liked Great Expectations and The Three Musketeers but no, my favorite has to be Little Women. Even back then Jo was a strong woman, knew her own mind and what she wanted and when she didn't get it, she stayed strong, moved on. I figured if Jo could do it, I could too.
My post isn't showing there either! What's up? *growls* Well, my cereal is done and I've done 3 mini-challenges... or tried too rather.
12:44, back to my book.
12:44 - 1:22: Poison Study pages 207 - 278.
Time for a Mini-Challenge.
Hour Six: Book Boyfriend Matchmaker Not much I can post here as it was a poll. I hope I got them all right.
1:38, back to my book.
1:38 - 2:40 Poison Study 279 - 409. Finished.
Time for another mini-challenge. Or not since I don't have a phone book and I am unwilling to spend my time folding paper wrong instead of reading, specially with my 2 hour delay.
2:46, off to find another book.
2:55pm, I actually decided to have lunch and listen to a book on cd. I have the actual book with me, so I know how many pages I've listened to.
Hour Eight: Book Club Recommendations I don't really like "Book Club" type books, at least not the type of books my library book club has been reading
Though if it was for a young adult book club I would recommend Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. A man born a woman and struggling to become the man she should have been. Another woman tortured and raped and managing to kill her abuser and survive and find love.
I'm still eating and listening to my book on cd. I have a headache and am hoping my Excedrin will kick in soon.
2:55 - 3:27 Host (book on CD) 111 - 122.
3:27, back to reading. I know I said last time that its better to read a series but I've read the Study Series so many times. I think I'm going to read something new. Hopefully I can stay awake then.
3:27 - 4:26 The World Above pages 1 - 126
Hour Nine: In Other Words I give up. The meds are working, my headache mostly gone, but I was never any good at subtle things. If it isn't obvious like the first one, I won't get it.
4:26 - 4:42 The Host, Book on CD 122 - 127
4:42. Back to my book.
4:42 - 5:09 The World Above pages 127 - 201 Finished
Another mini-challenge while listening to Host.
Hour Ten: Recreate the Cover
It is suppose to be a bean stalk. Made out of crocheted green yarn, cardboard and a tissue. Aaaand this one is not showing up on their blog either. And I worked so hard on this one too.
5:09 - 5:52 The Host (Book on CD) pages 127 - 143.
5:52 Back to reading another book. Not sure which one.
Thanks for all the comments!
I realized I only had a few minutes till hour 11 so I figured I'd continue to listen to Host while waiting for the next hour and the next mini-challenge.
Hour 11: Bookish Crossword Puzzle Yet another Mini-Challenge I can't do. Ok, I could do it but I loathe crosswords.
5:52 - 6:09 Host (Book on CD) 143 - 149
6:09 Back to reading.
6:09 - 7:18 Winter's Child pages 1 - 178 Finished.
1. What are you reading right now?
2. How many books have you read so far? 3
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Not sure. Maybe Blink and Caution.
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day? Yes, I took work off and asked that no one call me.
5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Only one and its happening right now.
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? That I woke up 2 hours late./
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Don't make me wake up at 8am again.
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year? Go to sleep very very early.
9. Are you getting tired yet? Yes.
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered? Listen to a book on CD while you do the Mini-Challenges. That way you don't waste the time you are using for the mini-challenges. And yes, I can type and listen at the same time. It helps that I've read the book about 12 times.
Replies to comments.
Sorry, Reading Chick, it is not Detective Glass though you got the second part correct.
April, I like the poem, thank you!
Lemmy, Yes, I am having fun!
Florinda, the headache is pretty much gone. Yay.
Shaunie, Azuki, I've read Host so many times. It is at least 5 times better than Twilight Series.
Lagie, if you think you know the answer to the puzzle, feel free to make a guess.
Hour Thirteen Book Reading Habits
I read laying down in my bed, on my side. I usually lay on my right side and hold the book in my right hand. I do turn over on the other side when my right side gets numb.
My cat will usually climb on me and lay down on the side I'm not laying on. I usually won't notice him.
I usually loose track of time when I read.
I usually read late at night, like 2am.
That was 5 habits. The first 2 are just together. And this one didn't show up either. I am getting kind of mad that they aren't showing up.
7:18 - 8:22 Host (Book on CD) 149 - 173
8:22, going to find another book.
8:22 - 8:28. Blink And Caution pages 1 - 7. It was all "you do this, you do that." Couldn't stand it.
8:28 to 9:36 Liar Pages 1 to 167.
Hour Fourteen Book Sentence
The Protector Promises The Shadow Queen Eternal Love.
Hour Fifteen Character Theme Song
Yelena Zaltana from The Study Trilogy. That Girl Is Poison by Bell Biv Davoe
9:36 - 10:12 The Host (Book on CD) 173 to 184
10:36 10:47 The Host (Book on CD) 184 to 190
Realized I was hungry so I turned the cd back on and got some cereal. And then I decided I didn't want to climb into bed just after eating so I listened until that CD was over while I did a bit of crocheting.
10:50 - 11:48 The Host (Book on CD)190 - 211.
Gunna do the Mini - Challenge for this hour.
Hour Sixteen Story Sequel Summary
Gone Native, Book 2 of The Host by Stephanie Meyer.
Wanda is now integrated into the secret cache of humans living in the desert. She has also discovered another Soul who has gone native, living with another pack of humans. Both Wanda and Burns wonder if there are more Souls out there.
Ian, who loves Wanda, accepting her whole self, feels like he is losing her to this search. Will she get caught? Will Burns give her up to save himself if he is caught? The questions, the horrors that Ian imagines, losing his love to another world, is becoming unbearable.
Are there any other souls who have gone native? Will Wanda and Burns give up their search? How many humans are left? Can Ian's and Wanda's love span worlds? Will it have to?
I guess I will stay on the comp long enough to do the next hours Mini-Challenge as well.
I'm doing pretty good, Margaret. I think I caught my second wind. I'm just wondering if I should stop at 8am, like my timezone says, or attempt to continue on till 10, when I actually started reading.
Ok, it took me a few mins to realize that Hour 16 is the one we are on now. I kept waiting for the main page to update.
11:52 - 12:17 The Host (Book on CD) 211 - 220.
Alright, now I really am going back to my book.
12:17 - 1:33 Liar 167 - 384. Finished.
Going to do a Mini-Challenge.
Turns out I was correct and we were on Hour 17, it had just been delayed.
Hour Seventeen Classic/Paranormal Tome
A mix of Frankenstein and Great Expectations.
Pip is a young orphaned boy who is brought in to an old woman's house to be a playmate to the young lady she has just adopted. But she actually made Estelle out of the parts of young girls she has paid the gravedigger to dig up for her. Pip must rescue himself from the clutches of the mad woman and save the horrible but gentle creature she has created.
Hour Eighteen is the same mini-challenge as hour seventeen.
1:33 - 1:47 Host (Book on CD) 220 - 224.
1:55 Time to read.
1:55 - 2:10 Fat Hoochie Prom Queen 1 - 23 I know I should have gotten the hint from the title but waaay to much slang. I'm only getting 5 words out of 10. I'm gunna do a Mini-Challenge and then chose another book. One that I can understand.
Hour Nineteen Character Crush
There are so many books with so many great characters.
To be completely honest, the one I would run away with is actually a horse. A magical horse. A Companion from Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series.
I would chose the grove born Companion Rolan. Not that I want to be a Queen's closest advisor but because Rolan is just awesome. The first time I read Arrows of the Queen I would close my eyes and pretend I was the Chosen One, I was the one who had magical powers and I was the one who could speak mind to mind with him. I would go any where he wanted me to go.
2:26 Time to find a book to read.
2:26 - 3:30 - One Good Knight 1 - 125
Mini Challenge Time.
Hour Twenty Movie to Book
The Tourist with Angela Jolie.
Action, mystery, humor. I so love that movie. I was on the edge of my seat. It would be awesome to get into their minds. Listening to it on a book on CD. Now that would be great.
Hour Twenty Bookish Humour I love Unshelved.
Hour Twenty-One Picturiffic A Dragon and a Princess, both who love to read, fall in love.
3:30 - 4:19 The Host (Book on CD) 225 - 2:45
Back to my book.
4:19 - 5:22 One Good Knight 125 - 254
Hour Twenty-Two Book Trailer
Fire by Kristen Cashore. A fantastic book I've read over 10 times now. It is the Prequal to Graceling.
5:22 - 5:43 The Host 245 - 250
5:43 Back to my book. I am quite enjoying it, even if I have read it before.
5:43 - 7:01 One Good Knight 254 - 400. Finished.
One more hour! I've almost made it!
Hour Twenty-Four Survey
1. Which hour was most daunting for you? 19th
2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? One Good Knight by Mercedes Lackey, Host by Stephanie Meyer, Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Make sure the links work and if the posts are not showing up on someone's Blog, which happened three times to me, allow those people to post somewhere else.
4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? The Cheerleaders.
5. How many books did you read? 8 (Finished 5)
6. What were the names of the books you read? One Good Knight by Mercedes Lackey, Host by Stephanie Meyer, Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder, The World Above and Winters Child both by Cameron Dokey, Liar by Justine Larbalestier, Blink & Caution by Tim Wynne-Jones, Fat Hoochie Prom Queen by Nico Medina
7. Which book did you enjoy most? One Good Knight
8. Which did you enjoy least? That I finished? Liar. Confusing. The two that I didn' finish, I barely got to page 7 on one and 20 on another.
10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? Extremely likely. Reader.
7:03 - 7:25 The Host (Book on CD) 150 - 156
7:25For the last hour, I am going to read the actual book of The Host.
7:25 - 8:19 The Host 156 - 345
I am done. So Want to crawl into bed now but I have to do my times. I'm not good at math even when I've gotten a good nights sleep. *sighs*
I hope my math is correct.
10:21 to 12:10 = 109
12:44 - 1:22 = 38
1:38 - 2:40 = 58
2:55 - 10:12 = 437
10:36 10:47 = 11
10:50 - 11:48 = 58
11:52 - 1:47 = 125
1:55 - 2:10 = 15
2:26 - 7:01 = 275
7:03 - 7:25 = 22
7:25 - 8:19 = 53
20.01 = 1,201
1 - 409
1 - 201
1 - 178
1 - 384
1 - 400
1 - 7
1 - 23